There are plenty of people out there that will offer tips on how to stay fit during the holidays, but this is not that kind of post. This post is all bringing a little merry to your workouts. Because if you are like me, you don’t want to waste a second of the next few weeks not listening to Christmas carols and watching The Grinch…but you also don’t want to become a total workout Scrooge.
My Pandora station has been set on Mariah Carey (Holiday) and Louis Armstrong (Holiday) for a solid month now (hands down, those are the two best Christmas music stations). While I love pretty much every Christmas song, not all of them are necessarily workout appropriate. Lucky for you, I found the most bumpin’ songs to get your blood run, run, Rudolphing:
If you are not from Miami you are probably thinking, WTF is Burrito Sabanero? Lemmetellyou, it is a Spanish Christmas song that is played on the local stations all season long and I don’t consider it to truly be Christmas until I hear it (now that I don’t live in a city that is 99% Hispanic, I play it on my iTunes on December 1st every year). My 3rd grade level understanding of Spanish has determined that the song is about a boy and his donkey (burrito) going to Bethlehem. It’s so damn cute though that it really doesn’t matter what it’s about. Trust me.
Not sure what workout to do while listening to your new playlist? How about the 12 Workouts of Christmas:
I dare you to not sing “Fiiiiiiiiive Jumping Jacks” every time. It might not look like much but repetitions will getcha’!
Other Christmas-y workouts?
- Do a Christmas Fartlek and sprint from lighted house to lighted house.
- Pick a Christmas word (ie Santa, reindeer, presents, etc) and a workout (ie burpees, jumping jacks, etc) and then watch a Christmas movie and do 10 of the workouts you chose every time you hear the word you chose (ie hearing the word sleigh means you do 10 pushups). Wanna get Christmas crazy? Choose two-three words/workouts. FYI choosing the word Santa with the workout burpees while watching the Santa Clause will guarantee a very sore elf
- Instead of an tacky sweater party, host a Christmas light run/walk/bike around a festive neighborhood
- Help a neighbor hang lights/decorate. Workout+good deed? Yuletide win.
- Go ice skating on date night instead of a movie
Anyone else like themed workouts?
Favorite upbeat Christmas song?
LOVE Merry Christmas Baby by Otis Redding and Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney